Tuesday 16 December 2008

Starting From the Library on the Humanities Campus

So there we go or we don’t go
I don’t know what we do, Are we going or not? Maybe we aren’t going anywhere at all just hang out here in the Library and that’s all. Why not? Better then not being anywhere now isn’t it?
I don’t know. You aren’t making any sense, you know that?
Sure I do.
So what are we gonna do? Or you just want to debate here over nothing? Or something that is pretty gibberish? I think I’m gonna take off instead.
Hey! Wait, I will come up with something in a minute
Ok.
I’m waiting...
So am I.
And what are you waiting for?
I am waiting for some understanding, some hatred to be understood. All the stuff that happens, what people do is so senseless! People hurt one and other and I don’t like that. I don’t see any meaning to it.
Well, yeah. On the one hand it’s claimed human life is sacred on the other it isn’t. It’s not showing sense to me. There are people who think less of others whose sexual orientation is different. It goes to a degree that they will not want to know how to interact with such people professionally. How to interact with their kids professionally? As a teacher. So there is a sacred human life, a child who is being told by her teacher she is less than her classmates, a non-proper human being because of something that she has nothing to do with.
Sick! It’s like telling my German friend that she is responsible for what has happened in the 30s and 40s in Europe. In the Universe. 40 years before she was born. Sick. But why are you so moody? Did you just read newspapers again?
Yup.
I thought so. What was it?
I don’t want to talk about it.
Fine. Let’s talk about something else. Do you wanna get out of here?
Maybe. We could go shopping. How about getting something to eat?
What do you have in mind?
Marzipan.
Sounds good. Let’s go.
Where to?
Shops I guess, once there we should pick up some bread and some milk.
Ok. Is it far?
Of course it is. Everything is far here but at least we can talk about something.
I still don’t want to talk much, If not the news than the guy we saw outside occupies my mind.
What with him?
He was weired. His mind was so full of thoughts that were just somehow... inappropriate. Or so it seemed for someone around a university.
I think I remember that guy. He was deeply in thoughts. Something about the Humanities department wasn’t it?
Yes, ‘It’s here, all this fancy and fluff. They are such a waste of space and so proud oh they so proud. They give the president! The president studied here, in this department. I hate coming here. Sociologist, linguists and crap like that what use are they? None. I say none. We should just get rid of them all. All this fake science. The world would be better off with engineers in charge. ‘
Yup, some serious thoughts.
Do you know any engineers?
Briefly. Not so much. Somehow all the guys I know seem to gravitate around the humanities.
I had some really cool teachers, long time ago, programming teachers. They were really cool. I quite liked them. But I guess they had something, the teacher quality that made them cool. Like me. Without that... Well I don’t know. I don’t know people from the science department.
Neither do It. How come that the science department is called the science department. Isn’t that degrading on the humanities? Isn’t teaching a science?
Sure it is but are you sure the rest of the house of knowledge, that is not the humanities dept called science dept?
Oh, I am not sure. Is it not?
I don’t know. It may well be but I guess I am so ignorant towards it I haven’t a clue.
Well if it is I am right, there is something not right then. Humanities are squashed. But If I am wrong then I am just squashing the other stuff that is not humanities. I am so full of prejudicies.
Aren’t we all? What kind of bread do you want to get?
Donno. Maybe something sort of dark

No comments: